BEALE AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. --
There is currently a Boil Water Advisory in effect for all Beale Air Force Base consumers as of 6 p.m., January 17, 2016. Water should be boiled for at least 5 minutes before drinking, making ice cubes, washing foods, brushing teeth or in any other activity involving the consumption of water.
During a weekly routine test, water samples tested positive for total coliform. Coliform bacteria is the most common water test done to determine the safety of our water distribution system.
Most coliform bacteria are harmless to humans. Additionally, drinking water contaminated with coliform does not always cause illness.
Please see a consolidated list of the most frequently asked questions.
Food and Beverages
Can I use my coffee maker, ice machine, or water or soda dispenser?
- Do not use water from any appliance connected to your water lines. This includes water and ice dispensers in your refrigerator/freezer.
- Use boiled or bottled water to make coffee and ice.
- Filters do not remove or kill bacteria or viruses.
- When the boil water advisory is lifted, consult the owner's manual and sanitize appliances.
What about ice?
- Do not use ice from ice trays, ice dispensers, or ice makers.
- Throw out all ice made with tap water.
- Make new ice with boiled or bottled water.
What should I do about feeding my baby?
- Use boiled water if you do not have bottled water. Disinfect water for formula if you cannot boil your water.
- Wash and sterilize bottles and nipples before use.
- If you cannot sterilize bottles, try to use single-serve, ready-to-feed bottles.
How do I wash dishes during a boil water advisory?
- Dishwashers are safe to use if the water reaches a temperature of at least 160°F or if the dishwasher has a sanitizing cycle.
To wash dishes by hand:
-Wash and rinse the dishes as normal using hot water.
- In a separate basin, add 1 teaspoon of unscented household bleach for each gallon of warm water.
- Soak the rinsed dishes in the water for at least 1 minute.
- Let the dishes air dry completely.
I already drank the water. Will I get sick?
- Most people who drink this water will not get sick. In the rare event that symptoms develop, they may include, upset stomach, fever, abdominal cramps and diarrhea.
Should I give my pets boiled water?
- Pets can get some of the same diseases as people. It is a good idea to give them boiled water that has been cooled.
Can I use tap water to brush my teeth?
- No. Do not use tap water to brush your teeth. Use boiled or bottled water.
Is it safe to take a shower or bath?
- Yes, it is safe to take a bath or shower, but be careful not to swallow any water. Use caution when bathing infants and young children.
What about shaving?
- Yes, you can shave as usual.
What about doing laundry?
- Yes, it is safe to do laundry as usual.
We will keep you updated as more information becomes available. Thank you for your continuous patience.
Remember, you can always get up-to-date information on the following Facebook Pages:
Official Beale Air Force Base Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BealeAirForceBase/?ref=hl
Official 9th Medical Group Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Beale.9MDG/?fref=ts
Also feel free to call the Beale Information Line at 530-634-8889.