Beale stands against sexual assault during SAAPM
By Staff Sgt. Rebeccah Anderson, 9th Reconnaissance Wing Public Affairs
/ Published April 13, 2017
BEALE AIR FORCE BASE, Calif --
This April marks the 16th annual Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention month. To bring attention to this matter, the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Program held a 5K Teal Run on April 7.
Arthur Littler, 9th Reconnaissance Wing victim advocate, spoke on the significance of the Teal Run that is held in support of sexual assault survivors and those wanting to spread awareness.
“Sexual assault isn't just an Air Force issue, a DoD issue, or even a national issue; sexual assault is an international issue and even one incident is unacceptable and a tragedy,” explained Littler. “Today Team Beale Airmen came out and showed them they don’t have to run this road alone.”
Along with the 5K Teal Run, the SAPR office plans to have other events throughout the month of April which are open to all Airmen and their families. Notably on April 13 and 14 public speaker Jeff Bucholtz is scheduled to be at the base theater to educate audiences about sexual assault prevention.
9th RW Sexual Assault Response Coordinator, Cathy Knight, hopes to involve more Airmen in future events on base.
She said, “we strive to make any and all SAPR events relevant both to the issue and to the times; our goal is not to inundate members with age old training, but expand their understanding of the problem as it is today and how they can actively rewrite the direction our society is heading.”
For more information on upcoming events, please contact the SAPR office at 530-634-3339/4400.
Anyone who feels they have been a victim of sexual assault may contact the SARC office:
SARC 24/7 Crisis Line at (530) 634-4000.
Callers will be given the opportunity to make informed decisions about how they want their situation handled and what support options are available.
In addition to local services, the Department of Defense Safe Helpline is available worldwide, 24/7 by click, call, or text. This confidential crisis support service is for all members of the DOD community affected by sexual assault and is operated through a contract by the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network.
There are five ways to receive assistance through the Safe Helpline:
1. Online: You can communicate live through secure instant-messaging. The service is anonymous and confidential.
2. Telephone: You can communicate over the phone by calling 877-995-5247.
3. Text: Safe Helpline can provide you with referrals by text to your mobile phone. Text your zip code or installation/base name to 55-247 (inside the U.S.) or 202-470-5546 (outside the U.S.) and the Safe Helpline will text back contact information for the SARC on your installation/base.
4. Safe HelpRoom: You can connect with other military sexual assault survivors in a moderated and secure online environment. Topics of weekly sessions are posted on www.safehelpline.org.
5. DOD Safe Helpline App (for iOS or Android): All of the above assistance plus you can create a personalized self-care plan that will be stored on your mobile device.
For more information visit www.safehelpline.org