Col Andy “Spoo” Clark is the Commander, 9th Reconnaissance Wing, Beale Air Force Base, CA. He is responsible for approximately 7,000 military, civilian and contractor personnel, and the entire Air Force high-altitude reconnaissance fleet of U-2 Dragon Lady aircraft. The 9th Reconnaissance Wing is comprised of four groups and four overseas operating locations, executing worldwide missions in support of all six geographic combatant commanders.
Col Clark entered active duty in January 1996 following his commission from the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Wisconsin. He is a Command Pilot with nearly 4,000 hours in the U-2S, the AC-130U and various other aircraft. He has over 1,200 combat hours accumulated during missions in Bosnia (1998), Kosovo (1999), Afghanistan (2001-2012), and Iraq (2003-2011). Notable flight experience includes qualifications as Instructor and Evaluator Pilot in the U-2S, the 2-seat TU-2S, and the AC-130U.
1995 Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Science, University of Wisconsin
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command & Staff College (correspondence)
2008 Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, National Intelligence University, Washington DC
2012 Air War College (correspondence)
2016 Master of Strategic Science, Distinguished Graduate, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2019 Senior Executive Fellow, Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government
1. 1996-1997, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB/Corpus Christi, Texas
2. 1997-2001, AC-130U Pilot, Command Duty Officer and Training Officer, 4th Special Operations Squadron,
Hurlburt Field, Fla.
3. 2001-2003, AC-130U Instructor Pilot, Chief of Mobility, 4th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. 2003-2004, Flight Commander, AC-130U Evaluator Pilot, 4th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. 2004-2006, U-2S/T-38 Pilot, U-2S Instructor/Evaluator pilot, Standardization and Evaluation Liaison Officer,
99th Reconnaissance Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
6. 2006-2007, U-2S Group Evaluator Pilot, 9th Operations Group, Beale AFB, Calif.
7. 2007-2008, Student, National Intelligence University, DIA, Bolling AFB, Washington DC
8. 2008-2010, Chief of Test & Evaluation Policy, Chief of ISR Programs, Directorate of Test & Evaluation, HQ/USAF, Pentagon,
9. 2010-2011, Director of Operations, 99th Reconnaissance Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
10. 2011-2012, Commander, 99th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron, Al Dhafra Air Base, UAE
11. 2012-2013, Deputy Director, Future Operations Chief, USNORTHCOM Joint Reconnaissance Center, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. 2013-2015, Executive Officer, USNORTHCOM Director of Operations (J3), Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. 2015-2016, Student, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
14. 2016-2017, Air Force Chair and Program Director for Central Asia, George C. Marshall European Center for Security
Studies, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
15. 2017-2018, Vice Commander, 9th Reconnaissance Wing, Beale AFB, Calif.
16. 2018-Present, Commander, 9th Reconnaissance Wing, Beale AFB, Calif.
RATING: Command Pilot
FLIGHT HOURS: 3,900+ (1,200+ Combat)
AIRCRAFT FLOWN: U-2S, TU-2S, AC-130U, various other aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor Device
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Gallant Unit Citation with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and three oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant January 17, 1996
First Lieutenant January 17, 1998
Captain January 17, 2000
Major March 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel February 1, 2011
Colonel April 1, 2017
(Current as of 22 Jul 19)